Tuesday 10 December 2013

Impressions - Expressions

A motley huge christmas tree I fell in love with!
As we took a pow from the tree for decorating ourselves we got caught and were forced to return it :(
Stealing the tree was impossible...

Chilly Christmas!

It's christmas time! The first time I really realised it was last weekend when I saw this gigantic and incredibly beautiful christmas tree! It kinda made me happy...
In fact I don't like christmas at all. In Germany. Christmas for me is normally associated with cold/snow, exam time and the usual hunt for christmas presents. In one word: Stress.
This year the whole x-mas thing is different. No stress at all. I'm a free citizen without many duties, responsibilities or exams. The weather is mostly warm if not hot and very rainy (mostly at night).
It literally doesn't feel like winter-/christmastime. It's summertime baby! :D
My family or maybe most people don't give each other (big) presents, which takes all the stress and rush from people. Usually our family meets for christmas at a very nice place, where's a lot of marvellous food and alliance for the whole day.
Relaaaaxxeeed.... This way of celebrating christmas is perfect to people like me, who get annoyed by all this christmas pressure, consumption and excitement very fastly.
My cousin told me I'll laugh my ass off when I'll see black men costumed like Santa Claus with a white beard with no big belly at all. Unfortunately I haven't seen one yet but I'm sure it'll look as wrong to me as all this christmas decoration in this sunny season.

The only thing - except of my close family - I'm gonna miss on Christmas Eve is the best party of the year in my hometown. It's called the holy party and takes part in an autonomic club/area runned by young people of the alternative scene. After celebrating with their families on 24th of December many of us youngsters and even old(er) people meet in that club for enjoying christmas with all their friends. That's the date the club is stuuuuuffeeeed! You might don't find space for dancing but all your friends and people, you haven't seen for ages because they e.g. moved away.
In the past three years I always left the family celebrations at around midnight and went there till the next morning.
It's about connecting, drinking, dancing and last but not least about exchanging LOVE.
This year I'll miss it... too bad :'(


Babel



My newest insight: Kenyans cause a lot of confusion!
Someone please answer me a few questions:

- Why are your common oranges not orange?


- Why do you call bags made out of plastic paperbags? Like REALLY?
I used to asked for a plasticbag... Imagine people didn't know what I wanted?! Until I've learned they are called PAPERbags.
No one is able to answer this question...
It's too random!

- What do you think I bought in first place?
I'll tell you: A toothpaste. So I got a toothbrush for free (which actually makes sense) plus three pencils. Hold on five pencils: Because I "bought" three and got two for free. Is there any hidden connection between toothpaste and pencils according to advertising purposes.
Wow and I just wanted a simple toothpaste...


                ?


Karibu, feel free to complicate my life!

Kandanda 



Brian (the male volunteer) organised a football field for the kids next to the childrens' home.
Although the're many stones and dells it's a very nice place.
The surrounding motivates even me to play. 
Haaaa and I'm not as bad as I thought :D


To mark the different teams with watercolour symbols was one of the most simplistic and greatest ideas I had in the past weeks. Now the yellow sun plays against the red heart or the green tree against the blue water etc...
This kids are so awesome! Playing football with them is so much fun. Not (just) because they're good players, but the way they are "playing". 


It happens like a million times in a game that the small boys lose their concentration. Then they take a nap on the field, collect stones, fight with each other, play tag or just stand on the field and have a coffee klatsch.
For example there's a boy called Billy, who went to the goalkeeper Lisa and asked her during the game:
"Do you think this white spots over there are flowers or paper?...Hmm I think I go check..." He went off and came back five minutes later: "They are flowers. Look I got some. This one is for you."



Homelife





one unique UNITY!

Babieees... If I could adopt any children I would definetly adopt Wanjiku and Joy in first place. They're like the jolliest kids on earth!
Omg especially Shiku is ALWAYS laughing and making fun.
She makes my day ever single time I look at her.
Everytime the babies see us volunteering girls they run for hugging...
I'll miss that so much when I'll be back home.
Who'll give me all that love and hugs?
crazy banana Shiku... pretending to wipe the floor :D



back in the bush!
Here's the calculation of this time:
2 1/2 Mzungus + 1 1/2 Blacks =  4 Germafricans
We've been preparing a banner for the fun- and fundraisingevent on next Saturday. 
All the handprints + photo  will be put on a sheet.
People, who'll want to donate for a kid will have to put there handprint under to "confirm" their sponsoring.
Chaotic action!

I think it's not hard imagining how our dorm and we looked like after O___O




Another preparation for the funday is a german song!
While Lena and Lisa teach them the pronounciation and singing....
....I teach the fluteclass the melody...



When the rooms got sprayed with some pesticides against insects everything had to be moved out of the rooms.
The following hours cockroaches kept on running out of the dorms.
Grrr worst thing ever.
This things are SO fast!


Animalistic Deaths


It already was incedibly sad when two dead puppies were found outside last week. Surprisingly it seemed to be only me who was felt down about the news and started the initiative to bury them.
The children here are so tough. They don't even care. No respect towards death animals.
You'll see them walking around with frog cadaver and chicken embryos in their pockets.
Or petting and teasing the dead bodies of the small dogs. They don't know any tabus.
It shocks me every single time... 
Today the kids told me they even buried puppies ALIVE because they were sick. 
What's wrong with the world? This kids are so infiltrated by religion and god and they don't even know how to respect animals? NOT AT ALL?
Imani and Amani... They loved each other soooooooo much!

When we were taking breakfast this morning one of my cats died...
While it was chasing a rat it ran into an electro wire and got shocked three times.
Amani is deeeeead! And Imani is alone now :(
The kitties death really hit me.
That day was aweful....


I think it was the first time the kids saw someone being in mourning about an animal.
As I made such a big effort to bury the kitten nicely they started realising.
Their behaviour turned from making jokes and being rude into appropriate funeral manners.
They even started bringing flowers and singing songs and consoling me.

Rest In Peace lovely 4-month-old kitty :( 
We'll miss you... Even the kids - I'm sure.


Rain - Mad - Mud



Usually it rains at night... Today it started during the day.
Possibly the sky was crying for the cat? 

Oh and there's a part in the building which is completely opened.
So the whole girls' staircase and partly the dining is overflowed.
Can you picture how it must be having the feeling that you should were gumboots in your own house? 
Anyway we prefer walking barefoot.
No matter of inside or outside.


The weather really underlined my mood of the day.
Normally I have like one bad day in a month (maximum).
 Then I'm really grumpy, pissed and obnoxious.
Today I somehow got up on the wrong side of the bed.
I even pissed myself off that I was in a really bad mood,
which obviously didn't help me to get out of that situation. 


Lisa goes African :D
creativity never stops..
At least the mud made my day! Lisa and I decided to go outside to play in the mud.
Yes we are still children.
The kids of the children's home just stared us thinking "what the fuck are this silly mzungus doing out there?!"
It was such a big amusement dancing and hopping around :D



wir zieh'n den Karren aus dem Dreck...
Warum?
Weil wir es können!
I don't care if my friends back home in Germany are playing in snow right now. I enjoy what I have - even if it's just mud. A "mud-angel" can look as good as a snow-angel don't you think? :D
And the rainy season should be ending soooooooooon!!!
...when struggling for a magic grain
we throw our life to the winds like rain
for godness sake
spare your failings and take the ability
to strengthen
no spirit can stimulate all minds
blossoms of days to come...
 

1 comment: