Monday 13 January 2014

A Dream

I'm back to my former highschool. Lena, my best friend of my entire schoollife, is with me.
We are astounded. Stunned.
On a large screen we can see our surprised faces.
Slowly we realise - there are video cameras everywhere!

Everything is still the same, only extremely modernised and enlarged.
How did this in the past year happen?

The whole building has changed: There is a huge vitreous, posh cafeteria, private studyrooms for every graduate, machines where you can get your prom pictures printed.

Actually that's the reason why we came back to this place we swore we'll never go back to.
There they are: Pictures of me and my best pals, the whole grade. We look happy in those photos.
Memories seem unreal and so far away.

The monster of machine is telling us to be patient. Fancy, creepy, unnecessary thing!
Where are those teachers of ours? The people we loved to blame for everything. 
It's the right time to take them to task! They taught us to have an discerning eye when it comes to changes.
Empty hallways. The teachers are gone. Gone home, gone into retirement, gone lost?
Whatever there's no way I'm going to stay longer than afforded in this weird unrecognisable place. There's something fishy going on!




Lena and I need to pass by the washrooms before leaving.
They used to be so nice and clean - not filthy like in other schools.

As we approach the queue of the Ladie's washrooms we slow down in astonishment.
Wow, nowadays there are Securities for checking bags? And they send you through metal detectors? Airportstyle... No big surprise in times of suicide bombers, (gun) rampage and drugabuse.
It's not like I've never fantasised about blowing up my school in moments of distress...

Hold on. They're storing my bag? Why? Too late, it's already taken away.
Lena is out of my sight. She must have been fast. I try calling her name. She can't her me.

The electronic handscan looks pretty, it flashes in green. "Imani R. Citizen. Former student - class of 2013". HANDSCAN?
Did this people seriously take my handprint? What for? "I just want to go to the toilet god dammit. What do I need my personalities for?!"
Oh, okay, they already have everything. They know where and when I was born and where my new place of living is.


At least I'm allowed to enter a cabin after passing through the security turnstile. 
After all this security checks I am expecting a clean, hygienic toilet.

Surprise, surprise. Instead I find an overflowing bin and a lot of waste on and beside the toilet seat. Even before I can start complaining I realise I can't even lock the door. 
The door, which is halfly made out of glas. See-through!
My name is being called. All of my three names. Really? 

With a lot of anger and still pressed I'm sprinting outside towards the table, where a woman is waiting for me. She is wearing a blue security uniform. She tells me in the calmest voice to depose my rings and jewellery before I finish my business. 

This is too much. I start complaining, I start screaming. I'm asking them for my rights? My rights to take a piss without exposing my whole identity. No one listens. Does anybody hear me in this twisted world?
My voice seems to be toneless.


Out of desperation I start punching the security guard.
And see myself getting into irreversable trouble with authorities and governements laws...





Security vs. Freedom




I had this dream like a month ago. 

When I woke up in the morning I felt so insecure.
It's so futuristic and at the same time TOO realistic.
The dream scared me and I couldn't let go of it.
I'm afraid this is what will happen if we continue getting addicted to security.

1 comment: